Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Going to the Gym

So I have been trying to get back in shape now that I have so much free time (and no good excuse to skip a workout). This morning, I decided I was ready to try mat pilates. I liked how it had the word "mat" in it which led me to believe much of this workout would take place on a mat (hopefully in a sitting or lying down position). When I got to the room, however, I saw people were getting out the step things (I don't know what they're called, but they're used for step aerobics I believe). I hesitated a little because I took a class last week where we used these things and I was sore for days. I decided it might just be for stretching (that makes sense right?) and so I pulled one out and staked out my spot in the back behind the staircase (it's less embarrassing when you pass out in the back). A minute later, the instructor walked in and I had a sinking feeling that this was not mat pilates. When I picture a pilates instructor, I see a tall, lean woman. Instead, this was a buff dude with a cut-off shirt and I'm surprised he didn't have a whistle around his neck.

Now, I could have sneaked out the door without anyone really noticing (another perk of being in the back), but I had already taken out the step thing and the mat. Plus, the other people in the room looked like normal people in need of a workout so this couldn't be too difficult. In fact, there was a man well into his seventies wearing very short shorts. If he could do this, then I could do this! (I was aware though of how close this man was to me and how this might affect my workout ... it wasn't his shorts, per say, that bothered me. I can handle seeing a little too much leg, but it was the fact that he was in desperate need of some biker shorts underneath the short shorts ... I won't go into more detail as I'm sure you get the picture ... unfortunately.)

I leaned over to the girl on my right and asked her if this was mat pilates. She laughed and answered, "No, this is boot camp conditioning!" That doesn't sound good. It brings back memories of conditioning for high school soccer. I was in much better shape back then. Oh well, no turning back now. The music was starting.

So halfway into this workout, I realize just how much I need to be here. A mile on the treadmill just doesn't cut it for cardio (darnit my husband is right again), and I could really get into shape if I keep up workouts like this! I mean, being in the back didn't even help me slack off since this buff dude walked around and pointed things out to you like "Bend lower!" or "Move faster!" And then there was the "Do you want to burn 100 calories or 1,000? It's up to you!" 100 sounded okay to me.

By the end, I was sweating (shocking!) and feeling pretty good about the workout. I think I'll do it again. It was no mat pilates, but then again, maybe I will actually see some results from this! That is, after all, why we go to the gym ...

No comments:

Post a Comment